More than 40 years ago, Åke Nordin, the founder of Fjällräven, launched the brand’s iconic Expedition Down Jacket. This winter, the Swedish brand is celebrating Åke’s ingenuity and the 1974 Expedition Down Jacket with a brand new collection of cold-weather jackets, all inspired by the much-loved original.
Perfectly slotting in alongside the Expedition Down Jacket that remains part of Fjallraven’s range to this day, the new 1974 Expedition Down Series offers a range of designs and insulation levels to suit a wide range of activities and temperatures. It includes a long-length Expedition Down Parka for extreme cold in resting moments, a lightweight Expedition Pack Down Jacket and Hoodie for active situations and a synthetic-filled Expedition Lätt Jacket for reliable warmth in damp environments.
Pairing heritage design cues from the original jacket with modern functionality, the new collection is designed not just to keep you warm but has also been crafted with sustainability in mind. “We wanted to offer outdoor enthusiasts more versatility within our assortment, keeping to our high standards of sustainability while at the same time honouring our heritage”, says James Lee, designer at Fjällräven.
“Sustainability is a priority for us, so we’ve worked hard to ensure the new Expedition Series stands up to scrutiny in that respect, too. Each item is easy to repair, the face fabrics and linings are made from recycled nylon and, as always at Fjällräven, the down is ethical, fully traceable and as it’s a by-product of the food industry there is absolutely no live plucking and it helps to reduce waste.”
Fjallraven’s Down Promise
The Fjällräven Down Promise, in place since 2014, delivers peace of mind to consumers. Fjällräven’s down is fully traceable to farm level. It works with just one supplier who uses just a handful of farms. This minimises risk and makes oversight easier. Fjällräven knows exactly where its down comes from and that it is of the highest quality. The brand’s hard work has been recognised in the Textile Exchange’s Material Change Insights Report. Using data from its Corporate Fibre and Materials Benchmark programme, it has listed Fjällräven as a leading performance brand with 100% uptake of preferred down options. On top of this, Fjällräven is at the top of Four Paw’s Cruelty Free Down Challenge list, beating other big-name brands in the outdoor industry.
The 1974 Expedition Down Series will be in-store and online from September 1st at www.fjallraven.com.
Expedition Down Lite Jacket M+W
- A lighter version of the iconic Expedition Down Jacket, suitable for milder winter climates.
- Lightly padded with high-quality, ethically produced down distributed in stitch-through channels.
- Outer fabric in hardwearing, recycled polyamide with PFC-free DWR.
- Shoulders reinforced with synthetic padding to resist moisture and pressure.
- Protective hood with signature yellow drawcord and leather tab adjustment.
Expedition Pack Down Hoodie M+W
- A lighter reinforcement down jacket in recycled nylon.
- Easy to layer underneath or on top of a shell jacket
- Packs into its own pocket.
- Great for trekking, skiing, ice-skating and all kinds of cold-weather outings.
- Shell fabric and lining made from 100% recycled nylon and padded with ethically produced down in stitched-through channels.
- Shoulders and collar reinforced with synthetic padding (100% recycled polyester) to resist moisture and pressure.
Expedition Lätt Hoodie M + W
- A new product that features the styling of the Expedition Series but is free from down or animal products.
- Lightweight and packable synthetic-padded jacket – ideal for wet conditions.
- Versatile reinforcement layer that provides extra warmth under a shell jacket.
- Light yet strong shell fabric and lining made from 100% recycled nylon.
- Padded with ultralight, free fibre synthetic insulation – a feather-like down alternative made from 100% recycled polyester.
Expedition Long Down Parka
- A comfortable winter parka that has considerably more length to protect your rear and thighs.
- Made from 100% recycled nylon with an offset construction of both down and synthetic padding that eliminates cold spots.
- Shell fabric and lining made from 100% recycled nylon.
- Synthetic padding made from 100% recycled polyester.