Filed under:Directory, Jobs and Careers, Sponsored, British Antarctic Survey jobs
BAS is a world-leading polar science organisation, and cutting-edge research depends day-to-day on a whole range of support staff.
People in operational support roles rarely stay single-skilled for long; the environment and the operations stretch everybody’s talents and ingenuity. Supporting science in the Polar Regions requires sophisticated infrastructure – research stations, ships, aircraft, and vehicles. We employ experts from many different professions to keep the lights on, feed the research and support teams and keep everyone safe. We aim to attract the best people for those jobs.
As part of BAS operations you would be working at one of our five research stations of which three are in in the Antarctic and two on sub-Antarctic South Georgia. You may also be required to go in to the field.
We have a framework that exemplifies the culture to which the British Antarctic Survey aspires. This can be described in the following way:
- POSITIVE: Positive attitude, energy, realism, enjoys the work.
- RESPONSIBLE: Safety conscious, environmentally friendly, accountable for one’s actions, honourable, ethical, open and fair.
- INNOVATIVE: Creative, flexible, thinking of better ways, constructively challenging, learning from experience, problem solving, entrepreneurial and outward looking.
- COOPERATIVE: Open, communicative, caring and loyal to one another, working in the best interests of BAS and science.
- EXCELLENT: Professional, efficient and effective, successful and recognised, high quality, applying best practice and developing our people.
The duration of our short term contracts working in Antarctica are usually for 18 months (Winter) or ~6 months (Summer). We occasionally have shorter term vacancies to support operational requirements. The 18 month contracts will include wintering at one of our Antarctic bases and will involve being away from the UK for up to 18 months. Shorter contracts are summer only and will involve being away from the UK for up to 6 months.
Find your job opportunity of a lifetime at
Just a sample of the roles we have available:
Field Dive Officers
Mobile Plant Mechanics/Plant Operators
…and many more!